W.A.S.P. – “Golgotha”

 Posted by on November 9, 2015 at 00:23  No Responses »
Nov 092015
 

waspgolgothacd Most people will remember W.A.S.P. for their combination of heavy metal with shock rock. The band was formed in 1982 by Blackie Lawless, who is now the only remaining original member. They were in the LA scene in the early 80’s that also included Mötley Crüe, Dokken and Ratt. Their self-titled debut album was released in August 1984 and their first single ‘Animal (F*** Like A Beast)’ was excluded from the album in the US so that it wouldn’t get banned from major chain stores. In fact, their early releases were all littered with sexually explicit songs and they suffered a backlash from the establishment. Tipper Gore (the wife of a US senator) founded the Parents Music Resource Center (PMRC), an organization that pushed for warning labels on recorded music, and made the band one of their prime targets.

Blackie Lawless had a fundamentalist Baptist upbringing and went to church until his late teens. But when he left home and moved to California, he ended up studying the occult for three years. It wasn’t until many years down the line that Blackie would shock the metal community by reading the bible and becoming a born-again Christian.

Continue reading »

Nov 062015
 

waspgolgothacdThe official lyric video for ‘Golgotha’, the title track of W.A.S.P.‘s new album, can be seen below.

“Golgotha” was released on October 2 via Austria’s Napalm Records.

“Golgotha”, has registered the following first-week chart positions:

Sweden: #6, Finland: #13, Norway: #17, Germany: #18, Austria: #33, Switzerland: #36, Poland: #37, UK: #50, USA: #93, Belgium: #73, Canada: 79, France: #110, The Netherlands: #136 Continue reading »

Oct 272015
 

WASP logoFan-filmed video footage of W.A.S.P.‘s October 9 performance at Kulttuuritalo in Helsinki, Finland can be seen below.

W.A.S.P.‘s new album, “Golgotha”, has registered the following first-week chart positions:

Sweden: #6, Finland: #13, Norway: #17, Germany: #18, Austria: #33, Switzerland: #36, Poland: #37, UK: #50, USA: #93, Belgium: #73, Canada: 79, France: #110, The Netherlands: #136

“Golgotha” was released on October 2 via Austria’s Napalm Records. Continue reading »

Oct 232015
 

waspgolgothacdW.A.S.P.‘s new album, “Golgotha”, has registered the following first-week chart positions:

Sweden: #6, Finland: #13, Norway: #17, Germany: #18, Austria: #33, Switzerland: #36, Poland: #37, UK: #50, USA: #93, Belgium: #73, Canada: 79, France: #110, The Netherlands: #136

“Golgotha” was released on October 2 via Austria’s Napalm Records. Continue reading »

Oct 212015
 

blackie_c7dW.A.S.P.‘s fifteenth studio album, titled “Golgotha”, has been released on October 2 via Austria’s Napalm Records. Over the next 6 months frontman Blackie Lawless will be writing a monthly installment that chronicles…The Making of “Golgotha”. Here is the fourth Installment:

“The Pure Warrior”

I know it’s presumed by a lot of people that because I am the main song writer that the other members of the band just come in and play their parts and they don’t contribute much beyond that.  I’m here to put that myth to rest.  Although that was true on the some records like “The Crimson Idol” nothing could be further from the truth with this band.  We go through long and lengthy rehearsal periods where we work on arrangements and overall song structure.  This goes on for months before we ever start to record for real.  We meticulously take songs apart and put them back together again.  With any creative process the first 10% is inspiration and the other 90% is like pulling a donkey uphill that doesn’t want to go.  In other words it’s 90% blood and sweat.  It’s where the real craft of songwriting takes place.  Get in there day after day and slug it out and beat on it with a big steel hammer until it starts to take shape!!  Does it sound like fun? Continue reading »